2018 Mo Young Farmers Summer Tour
July 29-31, 2018
Headquarters - Fatima High School, 143 East Main Street, Westphalia, MO 65085-0037
Sunday, July 29th –
Registration will open at 5:00 pm at the high school. Sunday evening events will start at 6:00 pm and will include a pork burger meal and entertainment.
Monday, July 30th –
The registration desk at the high school will open at 6:30 am and breakfast will be served at 7:00 am. We will start loading buses at 7:45 in the Fatima High School parking lot and leave by 8:00 am.
Monday Tour stops include:
1. Osage Wood Shavings - started the business in 1983 and buys approximately 2500 cords of cedar/year and delivers those shavings to 6 counties in the central Missouri area some for horse operations but a majority of it is used for poultry litter.
2. Turkey production presentation in Osage county.
3. Grass-finished beef at Boeckmann Family Farms – Operation consists of poultry, Mangalista pork and South Poll cattle.
4. Troesser Family Farm - They run 1500 acres row crops and 1500 acres pasture/hay. They ship 500 hogs a month and have 300 momma cows as well as 17 center pivots when the weather turns dry
5. Lunch at Chamois High School.
6. Paulsmeyer farms row crops consisting of 1250 acres corn, 1300 acres beans, 12 acres sweet corn, 3.5 acres melons, 4 acres pumpkins and 130 cow/calf pairs. Family is 6th generation farmers.
7. Siefert farms for Hereford seedstock and Allis Chalmers collection. Operation consists of 400 Hereford cows, 350 row crop acres, pasture, and they bale about 3500 round bales/year. They sell about 150 bulls/year and no cow on the farm is over 10 years of age. Also extensive Allis Chalmers collection.
8. State Technical College of Missouri for tour of campus in Linn, MO which includes diesel mechanics and excavation program.
And then back to Fatima High School for the evening meal and program.
Tuesday, July 31st –
Meet at Fatima High School for breakfast at 7:00 am. We will load busses at 7:45 am with a planned departure of 8:00 am.
Tuesday Tour stops include:
1. Fechtel Farms for rotational grazing system for South Poll cattle and hair sheep - They sell South Poll breeding stock. Farm has been in Fechtel family for over 150 years.
2. Meta MFA – New feed mill and busy fertilizer plant. They mainly serve 4 counties--Maries, Miller, Cole, and Osage, but do reach as far away as Camden County.
3. Wansing Dairy – AJ is 5th generation on the farm and a 2nd generation dairy farmer. They had a Lely robotic milker installed in 2016. Farm consists of land in Osage and Maries counties along the Sugar Creek where they raise corn, alfalfa, wheat, rye and grass for their dairy and beef herds.
4. Luebbering Profits Point Farm for backgrounding building – The family farm consists of 600 owned and 100 rented acres with 160 sows farrow to finish hog operation, 140 cow/calf herd and a calf backgrounding operation. Crops include corn, beans, wheat, barley, straw, and hay.
Return to Fatima High School for lunch and power point from Diamond pet foods. We will finish up with announcement and door prizes before dismissing
2017 state tour in Springfield MO